Honouree June Sarpong. Phootgraphy: DAPSGDP/Garry Carbon.
The annual Black Magic Awards made its return to London’s Criterion Theatre in October and kicked of Black History Month to once again honour the talents of some of the U.K’s most inspirational women of colour, from across entertainment, business, sport, fashion, community to music and more.
The event was hosted by Comedian and BBC Radio presenter Judi Love and was attended by a host special guests and celebrities. Special honourees who turned out to collect their awards included British Soul and R&B singer and musical theatre star Beverley Knight, BAFTA-winning filmmaker Amma Asante, TV presenter and author June Sarpong, founder of the first black British music awards – the MOBOs, Kanya King OBE, award-winning authors Yomi Adegoke and Elizabeth Uviebinne as well as campaigner and author Doreen Lawrence OBE. See the list below for more.
Musical performances on the night came from Afrobeats star Fuse ODG and X-Factor semi-finalist Misha B while familiar faces who graced the black carpet on the night included BBC1Xtra’s Yasmin Evans, DJ Yinka Bokinni, BBC’s The Apprentice winner Tim Campbell, Holby City actress Chizzy Akudolu, So Solid Crew’s Harvey, Gogglebox’s Sandra Bogle plus many more.
The Black Magic Awards which was founded in 2017 by Comedian, Actor and Producer Kojo Amin and Content Creator and Entrepreneur Annika Allen and is dedicated to honouring and celebrating the achievements of Black, British men and women. Check out #BlackMagicAwards on social for more.
Full list of honourees:
1. Television Honour- June Sarpong (TV Presenter and Author)
2. Brand Honour – Kanya King, CBE (Founder of the MOBO Awards)
3. Acting Honour – Letitia Wright (UK & US Actress)
4. The Impact Honour – Doreen Lawrence OBE (Campaigner and mother of late Stephen Lawrence)
5. Entrepreneur Honour – Louise Broni-Mensah (Founder of ticketing website Shoobs)
6. Film Honour- Amma Asante (Director)
7. Inspiration Honour – Afua Hirsch (Writer, Author and Broadcaster)
8. Influence Honour- Patricia Bright (Prolific Beauty YouTuber & Social Media Influencer)
9. Comedy – Jocelyn Jee Essien (Comedian and Actress)
10. Music Honour – Beverley Knight MBE (Recording Artist and Musical Theatre Actress)
11. Literature Honour – Yomi Adegoke & Elizabeth Uviebinne (Authors of awarding-winning book
Slay in Your Lane)
12. Legend Honour – Moira Stuart (TV Presenter)
13. Sports Honour- Sasha & Kadeen Corbin (England and Super-league netball players) 14.Community Champions – Sonia Meggie (Founder of social enterprise Inspirational You), Dr Ann-
Marie Imafidon MBE (Creator of Stemettes) Cesc Brown (Founder & CEO of Goals 4 Girls) Leanne
Pero (Entrepreneur & Breast cancer survivor)