Do you have your sights set on a career in the media or advertising industries? Are you aged 16-25 and living in Birmingham, London or Manchester?
Media Trust has launched the Queen’s Young Leaders programme to unlock the hidden talent of 100 young people. The programme will provide you with mentoring, training and masterclasses through which you’ll develop the tools, contacts and skills you need to explore new career paths and take your next step. The programme includes:
Continue reading Opportunity | Apply for the Media Trust ‘Queen’s Young Leaders’ Talent Programme
(BBC Head of Drama Polly Hill)
Reposted from Broadcast
The BBC is on the lookout for two assistant script editors from diverse backgrounds to take up year-long contracts in its drama divison. The entry level jobs will be advertised next month and will encourage applications from those with a passion for TV, rather than solely seeking candidates with previous experience of the industry. The successful candidates will be mentored by the head of drama Polly Hill over the 12-month period to prepare them for the next stage of their career.
Continue reading Opportunity | BBC searching for two assistant script editors from diverse backgrounds
Reposted from ITN
Do you think London is the best city in the world? Do you want to get under the skin of what makes the capital tick? Understand the lives of the people who live here? Are you passionate about making distinctive news that sets the agenda, can secure great exclusives and interviews, and break news lines?
If so, ITV London is looking for a creative and motivated reporter to join their team. As a key onscreen member of staff, you would report on the whole spectrum of stories across the ITV News, London patch, from breaking news and hard hitting investigations through to sensitive sit down interviews and light-hearted stories. A proven track record in broadcast news is essential, a knowledge of sports stories would be an advantage.
Should you feel that you fit the above brief, then please send your CV and covering letter to Nadine.Gayle@itn.co.uk.
Closing Date: 19th January 2016
Do you want to share your opinons on social and cultural issues being tackled in upcoming BBC Three programmes? Well check out the call to action below and get your voice heard.
Continue reading Opportunity| Get your voice heard on BBC Three
London Calling and London Calling Plus are back! Building on over a decade of experience and numerous industry and festival awards, Film London's annual short film schemes will produce 20 films this year. Both initiatives offer far more than production funding; the schemes also deliver a comprehensive programme of training and expert mentoring, helping to nurture and champion the capital’s most exciting new and diverse breakthrough talent.
Shorts produced through last year's scheme include the BAFTA nominated Three Brothers, actor Riz Ahmed's Sundance–selected directorial debut Daytimer and LSFF and Aspen Shortsfest winning Two Dosas.
Continue reading Opportunity | Get Funding for your Short Film with Film London
Interested in working behind the camera on TV projects such as Humans, Poldark, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, Jekyll and Hyde, Mr Selfridge and This is England 90? The TCN have teamed up with Creative Skillset to support emerging talent from under-represented backgrounds getting into training placements in TV. Trainee Finder covers all areas behind the camera, from sound to the art department to lighting and hair and make-up.
Through the Trainee Finder programme production companies across the UK get the chance to hire the best trainees in the business. Trainee Finder is closed to general applications right now, but by coming through the TCN programme you can still apply.
Continue reading Opportunity | Get Ready for a Career Behind the Lens with TriForce Creative Network & Creative Skillset
Building on the success of the MonologueSlam UK initiative for actors, WriterSlam UK is an initiative to help TV production companies and broadcasters access new and established writers from diverse backgrounds and support them in their career development, providing tangible outcomes for participants with a structured and accessible programme over 2015.
The second WriterSlam will take place on 19th November at Theatre Royal Stratford East and is supported by Creative Skillset, Tiger Aspect, ITV, ITV Studios, BBC and Hat Trick. You might have literary representation, you might not. You might have written for theatre, or for short film, in your bedroom, or even just in your own head. ANYONE can enter.
Continue reading Want to write comedy for TV? WriterSlam submissions now open
In collaboration with Creative Skillset and Directors UK, BBC Writersroom and BBC Drama have put together a new ‘on-the-job’ training scheme for directors early in their career.
Over the next year, 12 drama directors will be mentored on one of the 4 flagship continuing dramas (EastEnders, Holby City, Doctors & Casualty); and, as part of their training, they will receive a full credit on one episode of their assigned programme. If the director has shown that they can meet the standards required, the show aims to hire them within 9 months for a full directorial commission.
Continue reading Opportunity | Apply for BBC’s ‘New Director’ Scheme
GoThinkBig is looking for aspiring directors, producers, screenwriters, cinematographers, sound mixers, editors and production desigers to join their film-making crew. See below for more information:
Only 14% of UK films were directed by women. And of those, just 14% had female writers behind them.*
GoThinkBig thinks it's time to shift the balance. We're looking for talented young men and women who feel the same to join our crew.
We're looking for 3 crews of 18-24 year olds to join a week long film making experience from 8-15 October at the BFI London Film Festival. You'll have the amazing opportunity to write, shoot and direct a short film based on the theme ‘The Time Is Now’, inspired by the rally-cry of new film SUFFRAGETTE. the film was written, directed and produced by a female team and hits cinemas on 12 october.
To help you make it, top talent from the BFI Film Academy will show you the ropes in everything from writing and storyboarding to directing and operating the cameras.
And when the film's ready, you'll get a chance to see it unveiled during a screening of SUFFRAGETTE at the BFI London Film Festival.
To apply, click here.
Lightbox Media is a new TV and Media company dedicated to producing the highest quality non fiction content for the international market. There is a current vacancy for a runner; the contract is 6 months with the possibility of promotion afterwards. Lightbox have signed up to the CDN diversity pledge and are very keen to meet and recruit people from all areas of life. Please see job description and details on how to apply below:
- The Runner position at Lightbox is an entry level position. LB has signed up for the CDN pledge and we are keen to meet and recruit people from all areas of life. The successful candidate will be given a LB mentor who will help and guide during the contract and will ensure that during the contracted period, the runner gets introduced to all departments and production activities.
- 6 month contract, paid, @£400/week plus oystercard zones 1-4
- To assist the Director of Operations and Production Managers with all administrative duties to ensure the smooth running of the relevant production(s)
- To assist the Office Manager with all administrative duties to ensure the smooth running of the office
- To Director of Operations and Production Managers. Works closely with Office Manager
- Working to the Production Managers and Production Co-Ordinators to ensure efficient administration within the production(s).
- Clean driving licence essential as some driving work included for location filming
- Office reception work – answer telephones, meet & greet, photocopying, transcript typing, order stationery and couriers, arrange and cater for meetings
- Assist the Office Manager – set up new starters on computers; troubleshoot IT problems; maintain print supplies for printers and photocopier; order kitchen and toilet supplies; liaise with contractors.
- Long hours on occasion during busy periods of production and where necessary to ensure smooth running of the production process.
- Some Location and Weekend work.
- An ability to communicate effectively with all people within and outside the company, both verbally and in writing as appropriate.
- Ability to pay attention to detail as well as take an overview of the situation.
- Experience of working as part of a team, maintaining good working relationships and knowing when to refer to others.
- A good operational knowledge of computer systems and editing software.
- Knowledge of and experience in handing cameras, domestic and professional ones.
- An ability to adapt to changing priorities and circumstances as appropriate (this may include working flexible hours or weekend working depending on deadlines).
- An ability to work well in a high-pressure environment, working to tight deadlines.
- Maintaining integrity and discretion despite pressure from time and peers.
- Knowing who/where to go in order to get what you need.
- Giving help, advice and information to others as needed.
- Capacity to multi-task over several on-going projects or areas of production and able to define priorities.
- Confidence to recognise and deal with arising problems.
- The ability to think clearly, logically and objectively.
- Passionate about film and tv production, a desire to be part of it, and to do well.
To apply, email your C.V. to: firstname.lastname@example.org